12/12/10

No More Miracles

I was reading a Bible story to my children several years ago.  The story included one of Christ's miracles.  One of my children asked, "How come God doesn't do miracles today?  I wish He did miracles today."  I started to explain that God does miracles when His word is first introduced so that people will know it's true.  God doesn't need to do that in America."  And then the truth hit me like a ton of bricks.  Where in the world did that thought come from?

How quick we are to forget.  How quickly does our thankfulness fade into doubt. Sitting beside me on the couch was a living miracle.  Many things in my past I can only attribute to God personally choosing to intervene in my life.

I told my children, "Sister is a miracle," and reminded them of her story.  "Your cousin was born dead.  He is fine now,"  I recounted that story. "It's not that miracles don't happen.  Miracles happen every day.  The problem is that we don't see them or acknowledge them for what they are.  And when we do see them, we don't  remember them."

Our faith and the faith of our children depend, in part, on remembering what God has done for us. Remembering what He HAS done already gives us faith for the next trial. But oh how quickly we FORGET.  It makes me sad.  God is so good and we are so.....what do I say?  forgetful?  ungrateful?  childlike?  foolish?  preoccupied?

God knows our nature and our frailties. That's why in the Old Testament He constantly said, "and teach these to your children".  He set up holy days where certain stories (miracles) were to be told, he had them set up pillars of stone near places where miracles happened and told them that when they passed those pillars in the future and their children asked, "Why is that pillar there?" tell them....  He knew we need to be reminded.

He told us in the New Testament several times to encourage one another.  What better way to encourage than to share God's faithfulness to us.  Life is HARD.  We need all the encouragement we can get.  Jesus warned us, "In this world you WILL have trouble.." We need to encourage one another because bad things are going to happen.  We live in a sinful world.  God is not a magic genie to answer our every whim.  He decides when the miracles happen, not us. But He is with us ALL the time.

I want to remember God's faithfulness to me.  I want to share my miracles with my children.  I want to share them with you.  I would love for you to share your stories with me.  As often as I can, on Sundays, I would like to share a miracle story from my life or someone else's.  I want to help us remember. We can share big miracles or little encouragements.  It doesn't matter.  The fact that God cares about the smallest details of our lives is a miracle to me.  These posts will be archived under "It's a God Thing." Okay, so the title is a little goofy but at least it's accurate.


Open your eyes and see the miracles all around you, Sam

No comments:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner